This is the Year of the Sea: A guide to Bridgend County

This is the Year of the Sea in Wales. In 2018 discover new epic coastal experiences in Bridgend County. Welcome to Rest Bay, a surf spot which rivals any in Europe (Lonely Planet agrees), and which is one of the closest surf beaches to Cardiff, Bristol and even London.

YOS FB 1200px X 630px 2_preview

Make a splash with Wales' number one surf school or keep dry by exploring its dramatic coastline by foot. With plenty of epic experiences to be enjoyed on our coastal shores, there is no better place to celebrate this action-packed Year of the Sea.

Make a splash with the closest surf beach to Cardiff
Some of the best watersports opportunities in Wales can be found right here in Bridgend County. Head to the epic shores of Rest Bay beach, the closest surf beach to Cardiff, where you can learn to surf with Porthcawl Surf School - considered by many to be the best surf school in Wales - hire your own kayak, or have a go at stand up paddle boarding. Other activity providers include Cressey's Surf Academy and Adventures Wales. /SearchItemDetails.aspx?Id=265080

Explore the beautiful Glamorgan Heritage Coast
This is the mighty Glamorgan Heritage Coast, which stretches for 14 miles between Aberthaw and Porthcawl, and is fringed with delightful towns, small villages and miles of footpaths and country lanes that are ideal for scenic and cultural explorers. Walk from Porthcawl along the coast to Rest Bay to take in the limestone cliffs whilst discovering the tempting rock pools, head to Ogmore to explore mighty sand dunes and ancient castle ruins, or discover local wildlife at Kenfig Nature Reserve. /wales-coast-path.aspx

Climb the mighty Merthyr Mawr dunes
You might not think it, but we are home to the second highest dunes in Europe, including the towering 'Big Dipper', a natural marvel that may be a tough climb but the resulting epic coastal views are more than worth it! And for a truly epic experience Porthcawl Bike Hire now offer the opportunity to take families on a unique fatbiking adventure across the dunes - a dare devil's way to take in views of the coast! http://porthcawlbikehire.co.uk/

Explore Ogmore Castle's ruins and stepping-stones
The Merthyr Mawr dunes also hide the iconic ruins and stepping-stones of Ogmore Castle. Active family explorers will love wandering the ruins of the stunning Ogmore Castle while the kids hop across the iconic stepping-stones, all before making the short walk to Ogmore beach for a relaxing stroll along the sandy bay. The castle ruins also overlook the Pelican in her Piety, a friendly pub that guarantees a warm Welsh welcome and relaxing atmosphere. http://cadw.gov.wales/daysout/ogmorecastle/?lang=en

Blue Flag beaches and beyond
Wales is home to more Blue Flag beaches per mile than anywhere else in Britain and we're definitely not short of epic shores. Whether you're after the calm golden expanses of Rest Bay or the eye-catching pink marble pebbles of Pink Bay - Bridgend County is a truly bold and beautiful landscape. Sandy Bay is just a short walk from Porthcawl town centre while Trecco Bay has great facilities for family adventurers. If you've got a four-legged friend head to Newton Bay, which is open for dogs all year-round. /2016/6/29/bridgend-county%27s-best-beaches.aspx

Stop and savour the views
And once you're done exploring our epic beaches and coastal routes, be sure to take the time to stop and take it all in. We've got some truly beautiful coastal pubs and bars, from the historic 16th century Prince of Wales that is set on the edge of the Kenfig Nature Reserve, to the Jolly Sailor in Newton. Our new Jennings Building is home to the Coffi Co Lounge, Double Zero Pizza and The Harbour Bar and Kitchen, all of which offer epic views out over the ocean. /2017/8/21/new-shops-at-renovated-jennings-building.aspx

20 comments for “This is the Year of the Sea: A guide to Bridgend County”

1. Posted 02 January 2018 at 11:27:40

Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know

2. Posted 08 January 2018 at 13:08:24

It was clear that the specialist was focused on conveying a nourishment cleanliness mediations program that focused on the most noteworthy hazard premises. For the most part, the expert was giving a far reaching and viable nourishment cleanliness benefit with a few territories for improvement identified.

3. Posted 31 January 2018 at 10:33:23

Hey i love to walk in see beach, thank you so much for sharing this post.

4. Posted 10 February 2018 at 15:56:06

This year, the sea is going to do college freshman tips with it and people will know what to do with it. I think that we are not able to do anything about it.

5. Posted 23 February 2018 at 05:44:14

Thanks a lot for the kind of perfect topic I have not a lot of information about it but I have got an extra unique info in your unique post.

6. Posted 12 March 2018 at 19:48:57

Great tip thank you.

7. Gravatar of @20a Eaplanade Ave@20a Eaplanade Ave
    Posted 22 March 2018 at 06:59:39

Very good article which is very useful to visitors .
    Great accommodation can be found on Facebook too 20a Esplanade Avenue

8. Gravatar of stanstan
    Posted 04 April 2018 at 08:17:56

Hello everyone, was interesting to read your article. Usually i'm reading <a href="https://www.nytimes.com"> New York Times </a>, but now i will read you too! (https://www.nytimes.com)

9. Posted 02 May 2018 at 06:33:07

This competition is really amazing and should be organized often. They need to be capable of producing any kind of academic assignment with

10. Posted 08 May 2018 at 08:25:24

Great this article is very helpful. Thank you for the valuable information.

11. Posted 05 June 2018 at 14:31:43

12. Posted 18 June 2018 at 09:02:22

I have seen your awareness about this theme when you post

13. Posted 19 June 2018 at 13:10:29

These websites are really needed, you can learn a lot.

14. Posted 20 June 2018 at 06:38:17

I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike other blogs

15. Posted 28 June 2018 at 08:20:23

Thanx For Sharing Such Useful Post Keep It Up :)

16. Posted 28 June 2018 at 11:54:54

Great Info! I Recently Came Across Your Blog And Have Been Reading Along. I Thought I Would Leave My First Comment. I Don’t Know What To Say Except That I Have

17. Posted 09 July 2018 at 13:10:00

I read that Post and got it fine and useful.

18. Posted 11 July 2018 at 06:58:55

Great topic.love to read it

19. Posted 15 July 2018 at 09:30:54

I have not checked in here for a while as I thought it was getting boring, but the last several posts are great quality so I guess I will add you back to my everyday bloglist. You deserve it my friend

20. Posted 15 July 2018 at 09:40:27

There are a few fascinating points with time in the following paragraphs but I do not know if I see every one of them center to heart. There may be some validity but I’m going to take hold opinion until I look into it further. Great write-up , thanks and that we want much more! Added to FeedBurner likewise