Digital Bridgend, Short Trail No.1

Maesteg and the Llynfi Valley: The Maid of Cefn Ydfa Trail

Intro _2

Llangynwyd, is a picturesque and ancient village in the Llynfi Valley with at atmosphere like no other. I love this place, it has a church in its centre, neatly placed on a square in the centre of the hamlet, two pubs (one with a thatched roof the other one of the oldest pubs in Wales and home to some ancient Welsh traditions), the largest private graveyard in Europe and an incredible history. The village is one of the few places remaining in Wales that celebrates the New Year, or Calennig, with the Mari Lwyd - a horse's skull draped in a white sheet with flowers. The Maid of Cefn Ydfa Trail starts with the View of Cefn Ydfa Farm in the car park of the Old House Inn (that's the one with the thatched roof). The commentary kicks in and we are told the beginnings of a famous Welsh love story from these parts involving a certain Ann Maddocks who lived on the farm but was orphaned at the age of 2 in 1706. Once again, I don't want to give away the story so will just provide a 'walk through' of the tour around this unique must-visit village in the heart of the Llynfi Valley.

Wp 1-5_ann

The other local character in this love story is Will Hopkin, and the next stop on the trail takes you to the site where he once lived - by the side of the churchyard where a plaque marks his formed abode - the Croft and Forge - now covered by the graveyard.

From here, we are taken on a journey following this intriguing and very sad story. We are led into the ancient 6th Century church, passing 'the message tree' where we are informed through the app that the forbidden lovers exchanged notes to each other. The church is significant in this story as Ann was forced to marry another local character who she did not love, and this reluctant union with Anthony Maddocks took place in St Cynwyds Church.

The tour takes us to various points of interest throughout the church and the churchyard, almost every few yards there's something interesting that we're told. There's the graves of the characters in this story and of course, the compelling story itself which unfolds as we walk through these peaceful surroundings.

Eventually, we are guided by the app through the church gates to the memorial cross in the village. This was erected in the name of Ann and her lover, and also dons the names of other local people of historical significance. The app then takes us across the road to 'The Corner House' where apparently Will Hopkin once lived and many believe still does! There have been some 'happenings' in this establishment by all accounts and the staff merely put it down to "Will being about".

The trail then ends appropriately with the excellent Ghost Hunter game. I liked this as it was simple even for me. Just tap the screen where the ghost appears in the pub window. Now I've completed this trail in a beautiful hidden & historic village, it's time to enjoy a drink in one of the pubs. Maybe I'll go to both!

A review of the new #DigitalBridgend App by Andrew Lloyd Hughes

14 comments for “Digital Bridgend, Short Trail No.1”

1. Posted 30 April 2017 at 12:07:13

Grab the roblox cheats here and enjoy the fantasy of this game which is the most entertaining online multiplayer game with a lot of enjoyment.

2. Posted 08 July 2017 at 16:01:43

Oh wow this blog is amazing, its like a pleasant surprise actually, i wasnt really expecting that here to be honest because when i saw it first i thought its some mediocre studd, but like it really isnt !

3. Posted 27 July 2017 at 22:58:21

I read this article. I think You put a lot of effort to create this article. I appreciate your work.

4. Posted 28 July 2017 at 13:11:11

This is very interesting content! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your points and have come to the conclusion that you are right about many of them. You are great.

5. Posted 29 July 2017 at 12:40:30

Interestingly you write, I will address you'll find exciting and interesting things on similar topics.

6. Posted 22 October 2017 at 23:22:40

Great things you’ve always shared with us. Just keep writing this kind of posts.The time which was wasted in traveling for tuition now it can be used for studies.Thanks

7. Posted 22 October 2017 at 23:24:19

8. Posted 02 November 2017 at 17:59:21

Your music is amazing. You have some very talented artists. I wish you the best of success.

9. Posted 03 November 2017 at 17:13:10

Interesting and amazing how your post is! It Is Useful and helpful for me That I like it very much, and I am looking forward to Hearing from your next..

10. Posted 08 November 2017 at 10:13:49

This is the kind of data I"ve long been attempting to discover. Much thanks to you for composing this data.

11. Posted 17 November 2017 at 06:41:19

This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.

12. Posted 22 November 2017 at 16:32:51

Thank you for helping people get the information they need. Great stuff as usual. Keep up the great work!!!

13. Posted 02 December 2017 at 11:11:10

14. Posted 30 December 2017 at 10:43:22

I truly value the sort of themes you post here. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing us an incredible data that is really useful. Great day!